Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels

The ancestors on this page are all descended from English immigrants.

See all links in Daniels Family Tree

The Daniels Family

The Daniels family goes way back. The Daniels line can be traced all the way back to Robert d'Anyers (Daniers) born in 1172 who likely descended from a Norman knight who fought with William the Conqueror. The most recent generations of the Daniels family migrated west to Ohio, Michigan, and Tennessee.

How We're Related

Mary Elizabeth Daniels married John Francis on January 20, 1862 in Portage, Ohio.


Linus Daniels married Ellen Mills on March 19, 1844 in Freedom Township, Ohio. Linus is a classic example of the westward migration pattern of the era. He was born in Massachusetts, moved to Ohio with his parents when he was five years old. He was marriedthere and lived in Northeast Ohio before moving to Michigan in the fall of 1868. But after their youngest daughter died, they felt so lonely that they moved back to Ohio, to be nearer their daughter Mary who was living in Cleveland at that time. They settled in Bedford in 1878. In the spring of 1883 Linus, with his son-in-law, John Francis went to Tennessee, to look for a home in a milder climate. They bought a farm of 122 acres with some improvements — two large orchards of different varieties of fruit, two log cabins ready for occupancy, and a good spring of water nearby; they moved their families in the fall.

The decennial census reports from 1850 to 1880 show that Linus reinvented himself. In 1850 and 1860 is occupation is listed as blacksmith but in 1870 and 1880 he is a physician. He commenced the practice of medicine in Rootstown in the spring of 1865; moved from there to Michigan and had a good practice there.

Reuben Daniels' letter
denouncing Mormons
Click to access full size image

Reuben Daniels married Polly Larkcom on November 29, 1808. He was a farmer. In 1827 they moved from Connecticut to Freedom Township, Ohio where Reuben built just the second frame house in the town and he helped organize the town's first church. By 1854 Reuben was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge in Garrettville.[2]

Reuben Daniels may have been one of the early followers of the Mormon Church. There is an article written in 1846 in the Anti-Mormon publication, Warsaw Signal under the name Reuben Daniels denouncing Mormon practices. The writer says that he was personally acquainted with the founder Joseph Smith but became disillusioned with the dogma of the church and quit. It is yet to be confirmed that this is the same Reuben Daniels but he did live not far from the church established by Joesph Smith in Kirtland, Ohio in the 1830s.


Reuben Daniels married Sarah Meeker on September 3, 1777 in East Hartford, Connecticut. They had two sons including Reuben. When Sarah died in 1794, Reuben remarried and Reuben had two more children. Reuben spent his life in the Hartford area. There is no information about Sarah Meeker's ancestry.

Reuben Daniels was a private in the Continental Army fought in the Battle of White Plains, a battle in the New York and New Jersey campaign of the American Revolutionary War fought on October 28, 1776, near White Plains, New York. Following the retreat of George Washington's Continental Army northward from New York City, British General William Howe landed troops in Westchester County, intending to cut off Washington's escape route. Alerted to this move, Washington retreated farther, establishing a position in the village of White Plains but failed to establish firm control over local high ground. Howe's troops drove Washington's troops from a hill near the village; following this loss, Washington ordered the Americans to retreat farther north.


Peletiah Daniels married Abigail (last name unknown, sometimes attributed as Daniels) on May 14, 1750 in Colchester, Connecticut. Although in some family trees Peletiah and Abigail are shown as distant cousins, this connection is doubtful. Peletiah served in the Revolutionary War as a private.


Jonathan Daniels married Rebecca Graves on December 14, 1706 in New London, Connecticut. They had a family of nine children all born in the Colchester/New London area.


John Daniels married Mary Chappell on January 19, 1665. John had settled in New London, Connecticut about 1663 and was considered a yeoman, i.e., a farmer who cultivates his own land. John's parentage is not well documented but one possibility is that he was the son of William Daniels of Milton, Massachusetts. John may have kept the public house with his father in Milton before moving to Connecticut.


An English image

English connection

William Daniels married Katherine Greenway/Grenaway on October 18, 1646 in Dorchester, Massachusetts. William reportedly had arrived in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1632. He is sometimes referred to as a sea captain but I can't find any documentation of this. He was made a freeman in 1648.

The first tavern in Milton was established by William Daniel, shortly after leaving Dorchester in 1646, on a 13 acre lot on the north side of Milton Hill. Here he built his home which he also operated as the first public house in Milton. Town records show that the Selectmen and militia officers frequently dined and wined at his ordinary; and that in 1678 he was licensed to sell beer, cider and wine, but not ‘strong water’.

After William's death an unfortunate incident which took place in 1685 between two men traveling to Boston who stopped at the Milton ordinary to quench their thirst is related in Early Court Files. After refreshing themselves John Baxter and Thomas Saffin, Jr. got into a drunken brawl 250 yards from the house which resulted in a terrible mauling, beating and kicking of horse and rider graphically described in the court record. By the close of the 19th century, citizens voted to ban 'the sale of intoxicating liquors in the town,' thus bringing to a close the days of Milton taverns.

Stevens-McKay Connection

Katherine Greenway is the daughter of John and Mary Greenway. Another daughter, Anne, married Robert Pierce who is a Freeman ancestor.


William's brother, Robert Daniell, married Elizabeth Morse in England in about 1630. Their story can be found here.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Graves

The Graves Family

Religious issues sent the Graves family from the relatively civilized Hartford to the frontier of Hatfield, Massachusetts.

How We're Related

Rebecca Graves married Jonathan Daniels on December 14, 1706 in New London, Connecticut.


Benjamin Graves married Mary Hoare on October 21, 1668 in Concord, Massachusetts. He was a soldier in King Philips War in 1675 and 1676. Benjamin was fined 40s. for selling drink but was released by the selectmen from that part of the fine belonging to the poor, he being a poor man. At the same time (May, 1694) he was "approved as a retailer, he living in the woods, upon a road remote from any other ordinary several miles." He moved to Saybrook, Connecticut in 1703.


John Graves married Mary Smith about 1652 in Wethersfield, Connecticut. John was baptized December 26, 1626 at Thundridge, Hertfordshire, England. He came to America in 1629 aboard the George Bonaventure with his father, mother and four siblings. He was made a freeman in Wethersfield, Connecticut on May 18, 1654. In 1655 and 1659 he was employed to run the boundary line between Wethersfield and Mattabessett. John owned land in Hartford and Wethersfield, which he retained when he moved to Hatfield, Mass. in 1661.

On Sept. 19, 1677, a band of Indians attacked Hatfield. Most of the men were out harvesting corn. In the unexpected assault, several women and small children were killed. John and his brother, Sergeant Isaac Graves, with two other carpenters, were working up on the frame of a house they were building They were shot down, according to tradition, while putting shingles on the house.


Thomas Graves married Sarah Scott about 1620 in England. Thomas and Sarah and 5 children came to America on the George Bonaventure which arrived in Salem, Mass in 1629. The first official record of the family in country was at Hartford, Conn in 1645 when the family located there. Thomas owned three separate pieces of real estate there.

A schism had arisen in the church at Hartford and Wethersfield, and the dissenters, from the views entertained by the majority, concluded to break away from their homes and found settlement where their views would prevail. They left their houses and lands in Hartford and Wethersfield unsold and settled approximately 50 miles to the north in Hatfield, Mass., in October 1661.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Graves /Hoar

The Hoar Family

The Hoar family in America is descended from John Hoar, a man whose good relationships with the local Indians made him unusual among his peers.

How We're Related

Mary Hoare married Benjamin Graves on October 21, 1668 in Concord, Massachusetts.


John Hoar married Alice (last name unknown) in Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts in 1645. He was educated in England and apprenticed to his father for 10 years. John had come to America with his widowed mother by 1640. He was living in Scituate, Massachusetts in 1643; while there he always engaged in the business of the town, and in drafting of deeds, bonds, etc., and is occasionally called a lawyer. He sold his lands in Scituate in 1659 and moved to Concord, as one of the "Cohasset Partners", where he lived for the rest of his life. There he continued the practice of the law, except at one time he was prohibited from practicing, except his own cases, for not attending church, and speaking slightingly of one of the ministers.

He took charge of a community of 58 Christian Indians removed from Nashoba in November 1675 after they ran out of food and fuel. He gave them shelter in his house and offices and began building a workshop and palisade where they could work and shelter. Capt. Mosely broke into John Hoar's house on a Sunday and seized the Indians and their property. The Indians were sent to Deer Island under a guard of 20 soldiers. The authorities were not happy with this but did not punish Capt. Mosely, or compensate John Hoar for his damages.

A True History of the Captivity
and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson
Click to access full size image

John was a militia leader and Indian liaison in colonial Massachusetts during King Philip's War. John's good relationship with the Native Americans put him in the position of negotiator when Mary Rowlandson became a hostage. At sunrise on February 10, 1676, during King Philip's War, Lancaster, Massachusetts came under attack by Narragansett, Wampanoag and Nashaway/Nipmuc Indians. Rowlandson and her three children, Joseph, Mary, and Sarah, were among the hostages taken. For more than 11 weeks and five days, she and her children were forced to accompany the Indians as they fled through the wilderness to elude the colonial militia. Years later, she recounted the severe conditions during her captivity for all parties. On May 2, 1676, Rowlandson was ransomed for £20 raised by the women of Boston in a public subscription, and paid by John Hoar of Concord at Redemption Rock in Princeton, Massachusetts. Rowlandson would go on to write a famous narrative of her experience as a captive, The Sovereignty and Goodness of God: Being a Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson which became a bestseller throughout the English speaking world.

John's wife Alice is often described as the daughter of John Lord Lisle, president of the high court of justice in England but there is no evidence that this is true. John's brother Leonard married Bridget Lisle, who the daughter of John Lord Lisle. Alice's parents are unknown.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Graves /Smith

The Smith Family

The progenitor of the Smith family in New England, Samuel, had a long and interesting life and he has many connections with both sides of our family.

How We're Related

Mary Smith married John Graves about 1652 in Wethersfield, Connecticut.


Samuel Smith married Elizabeth Smith on October 6, 1624 at St. Margaret's, Whatfield, Suffolk, England. He sailed from England on the ship Elizabeth and landed in Boston with his wife and their four children, Samuel, Elizabeth, Mary, and Philip in 1634. In 1636, they moved to Connecticut, and he was one of the founders of Wethersfield. He is called "The Fellmonger" in the early Wethersfield records meaning that he was a tanner by trade and a dealer in skins and furs of animals. In February 1651 Samuel Smith served as a member of a particular Court in Hartford, chosen to try John Carrington and his wife for witchcraft. And indictment "thou deservest to dye" was returned but the sentences were probably not carried out.

In May 1653 Samuel was made a member of the Committee for War in Wethersfield and sometime before 1658 was commissioned a Sergeant of the Wethersfield Trainband. The Trainband was an organization formed to defend the town and its officers were chosen by the soldiers.

In 1659, they moved to Massachusetts and he was one of the founders of Hadley. In May 1663 the Court approved Samuel Smith as Lieutenant of the Hadley Trainband to serve under Capt. John Pynchon of Springfield a position he held until 1678 when he resigned because of his advanced age. He served inactively in King Philip's War. His home in Hadley was said to have served as a hiding place for the regicides Whalley and Goffe, for a part of the time they were in Hadley. In 1678 Lieutenant Smith requested, since he was "nearing 80 years of age" to be "relieved fro military trust." His request was granted. Samuel's death was two years later.

Samuel and Elizabeth's other children have interesting stories of their own:

  • Elizabeth married Nathaniel Foote, a McKay ancestor
  • John was killed by Indians at Hatfield in 1676
  • Philip was "murdered with an hideous witchcraft" in 1684
  • Samuel deserted his wife and left town (New London) with the tavern keeper's daughter

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Chappell

The Chappell Family

The Chappell family were early settlers in Wethersfield (just south of Hartford) and New London, Connecticut.

How We're Related

Mary Chappell married Jonathan Daniels on January 19, 1665 in New London, Connecticut. Born in Wethersfield, Connecticut, early in the 1650s, Mary's family moved to New London where she lived the remainder of her life.


George Chappell married Christian (Bell?) before 1644 in Wethersfield, Connecticut. George arrived in Boston aboard the Christian in 1635. He was a apprenticed to Francis Stiles to work four days a week to learn the trade of carpenter. He enlisted to fight in the Pequot War of 1637. In return for his military service, the town of Wethersfield granted George Chappell a house on a lot after the war ended. He lived there until 1641, and in 1651 was granted upland, meadow and a 5-acre lot in New London, Connecticut. He sold that property in 1658 to the Indian Missionary William Thomson, and was then granted six acres for a house lot on Jordon River by Niantic, making him one of the first settlers in that community. His early status there led to the naming of a nearby stream in his honor -- Chappell Brook.

In 1645 George begins to repeatedly appear in civil suits and on misdemeanor charges. Among other charges, he was fined 5 pounds "for abusing the Constable and excesse in drinking."

By 1650 he had relocated to New London with his family and was granted upland, meadow, and a 5 acre house lot. In 1653 he was fined "for his being drunk contrary to law." As late as 1671 (at age 56), George participated in a "riot" over a land dispute on the boundary of Niantic and Lyme. In 1674 he and his (second) wife Margaret sold a parcel of land in "the General Neck" of New London.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Greenway

The Greenway/Grenaway Family

The Greenaway family is connected to both sides of the family tree.

How We're Related

Katherine Greenway married William Daniels on October 18, 1646 in Dorchester, Massachusetts. Katherine was the seventh and youngest child of John Greenaway and Mary Markes.

In the same house that also served as the tavern, Katherine was gathered Indians living on the hill, and in various parts of the town, "for their enlightenment and instruction." This continued for three years, 1650-3, until its beneficial influence and effect attracted official notice, as appears by the following record on September 21th, 1653, at the meeting of the Commissioners of the United Colonies held at Boston, recorded. "Having learned that the wife of William Daniels hath lor three years past bestowed much of her time in teaching - several Indians to read, think lit to allow her £12, for the time past; and to encourage her to continue the same course, that more of the Indians may be taught by her, think lit to allow her £3 more, before hand, towards another year."


John Greenaway married Mary Markes in 1625 in Heddington, Wiltshire, England. John was among the Puritans who were part of what was called the Winthrop Fleet had brought his family, Including Katherine, to America aboard the "Mary and John" arriving at Nantucket May 30, 1630. A few days later the passengers had effected a settlement at Dorchester, being thus about a month earlier than the rest of the Winthrop colony which settled Boston and other towns. He was the first applicant from Dorchester for freemanship. A millwright by trade he became quite affluent and gave his daughter Katherine and her husband William land for their home.

McKay/Stevens Connection

John is related to both the Stevens and McKay sides of the family.

Continued in column 2...

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom

The Larkcom Family

It is said that the Larkcom family is of Huguenot descent.[4] They lived in Massachusetts and Connecticut for five generations before going west in 1825.

How We're Related

Polly Larkcom married Reuben Daniels on November 29, 1808 in Otis, Massachusetts.


Paul Larkcom married Comfort Norton on June 19, 1786. They were the parents of 12 children, two died in infancy and the grandparents of 35 grandchildren and 84 great-grandchildren.

Since Paul's father died when he was an infant, when Paul was old enough to work he went from home to live with a Mr. Knox. When he was about 14 he went into the Army as chore boy and waiter but soon acted as cook for the officers. He was said to have served many meals for General Washington. After serving as a cook some length of time he entered the regular service as a soldier. At the close of the war he was honorably discharged and returned to his native town.

Paul was twice elected as a Representative to the State Legislature and served twenty-one years in all as Justice of Peace. In 1825 Paul with his youngest son Linas left his old eastern home and started for the New Connecticut as the Western Reserve was then called. He purchased 240 acres of wildland, a part of it a little north of Drakesburg where he cleared off a place enough for a house and garden and sent for his family the next year. He worked as a farmer and a carpenter.


Silas Job Larkcom married Molly Herbert/Harbord/Hebard in August 1760 at Petersham, Massachusetts. Silas's father died when Silas was just 3 years old. Silas's first wife, Mary, took him to court and was granted a divorce for cruelty in May 1753.

Silas died in June 1765. He and Mr. Kibby (possibly related to his mother), were hoeing corn and they stopped to rest under a tree a few minutes. While sitting there, a limb fell from the tree, hitting Silas and killing him almost instantly.

Molly married Isaac Finch after the death of Silas Larkcom.

Molly's father John Herbert/Harbard married Mary Beaman on December 28, 1742 in Worcester, Massachusetts. He was said to be of Scottish ancestry.


John Larcom married Hannah Kibbe on August 17, 1724 in Enfield, Connecticut. John moved from Wenham, Massachusetts to Hartford Connecticut where he met and married Hannah. John only lived to be thirty years old.


Mordecai Larkum married Abigail Solart on November 10, 1681 in Windam, Connecticut. Came as a carpenter to Ipswich, Mass. in 1683/84. On Oct. 30, 1683, and is named among those “not paying towards building the meeting house.” On Nov. 1, 1682 accepted as a townsman.


An Huguenot image

Huguenot connection

Mordecai Larkum married Elizabeth about 1655 in Beverly, Massachusetts. Mordecai may be the brother or son of William Latcome who arrived in America in 1634.

French Huguenots were driven out of France in 1600 including some with the surname spellings of Lacome, Latcome, Larkham, LaCombe, Larcom. This Larkum family may be of that descent.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Norton

The Norton Family

The Norton family made their home in Massachusetts and Connecticut or six generations before Comfort and her husband moved to Ohio in 1825.

How We're Related

Comfort Norton married Paul Larkcom on June 19, 1786.


Jonathan Norton married Sarah (last name unknown, possibly Wright) in Otis, Massachusetts. Jonathan was a soldier in the French and Indian War in 1757 and a Lieutenant during the Revolutionary War.


Nathaniel Norton married Mary Bartlett on July 28, 1729 in Suffield, Connecticut. They had eleven children.


George Norton married Hannah Younglove on December 11, 1695 in Suffield, Connecticut. After Hannah's death George married Martha Ellsworth.


George Norton married Sarah Hart in Windsor, Connecticut on October 7, 1669. He was a carpenter like his father and moved to Suffield in 1674. The town had to be abandoned during King Philip's War but he returned and built a house there for his family. He held two jobs unique to the era. He was a hog reeve, a person charted with the prevention or appraising of damages by stray swine, and a fence viewer, a local official who administers the fence laws (as by inspection of new fence and settlement of disputes arising from trespass by livestock that have escaped enclosure). He was the first representative from Suffield at the General Court in Boston.


George Norton married Mary (last name unknown) in Salem, Massachusetts on June 14, 1633. He came to America aboard the Talbot in 1629 and first resided in Salem. He was an innkeeper ("George Norton licensed to keep an ordinary upon the road where he dwells, and to sell strong waters to travellers") and a carpenter. He was the builder of the first meeting house in Salem. He became a freeman in 1634.

The Puritan administration in Salem was harsh. George Norton was presented at Salem Court for "lying and subborning witnesses to scandalize the church of Wenham, to pay 20s. for two lies and seven witnesses three days, and to confess before the assembly met at Wenham in the meeting house, as follows: `I do confess and acknowledge that I have sinfully endeavored to justify myself and my turbulent and factious agitations against the just and orderly proceedings of the church against me for my sin in that I have incessantly labored out of the pride of my heart to gather up witnesses of all sorts to testify against the dealing of the church with me seeking thereby to lay a scandal upon the church which cannot but greatly tend to the dishonor of God and the reproach of religion.' Refusing to make this confession, to sit one hour in the stocks"

McKay/Stevens Connection

George Norton is the uncle of McKay ancestor John Norton. Another Stevens ancestor, Francis Norton, is the uncle of George Norton.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Norton/Bartlett

The Bartlett Family

The Bartlett family passed on the profession in the leather trades from the first immigrant, Richard. They spent their lives along the Merrimack River in Newbury and Amesbury, Massachusetts.

How We're Related

Mary Bartlett married Nathaniel Norton on July 28, 1729 in Suffield, Connecticut.


John Bartlett married Prudence Merrill on November 25, 1702. They lived in Amesbury, Massachusetts.


John Bartlett married Mary Rust on September 29, 1680 in Newbury, Massachusetts. They were the parents of 10 children. He was a tanner and innkeeper in Newbury.


Richard Barlett married Abigail Wells in 1653 at Newbury, Massachusetts. He had arrived in New England in 1634 with his family.. He acquired land on Deer Island in the Merrimack River.

Abigail is the daughter of Isaac Wells and Margaret Luce. He took the oath as an inhabitant of Scituate, Massachusetts in 1638 and was a constable in Barnstable in 1642.

Richard Bartlett Sr was a widower when he arrived in New England in 1634 with his six children. He brought with him his "Breeches Bible" which he bought in 1612 and in which he recorded the births of his six children. He was a cordwainer by trade, one who makes shoes and other articles of leather. He was one of the founders of Newbury, Massachusetts. Richard settled Bartletts Cove in 1635 (opposite Amesbury Ferry on the Merrimack River).

Governor Josiah Bartlett, signer of the Declaration of Independence, is the great grandson of Richard Bartlett

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Norton/Bartlett/Merrill

The Merrill Family

The Merrill and Webster families are associated with Ipswich, Massachusetts and the founding of Newbury, Massachusetts.

How We're Related

Prudence Merrill married John Bartlett November 25, 1702 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts.


Abraham Merrill married Abigail Webster on January 18, 1660 in Newbury, Massachusetts. He was a weaver and a deacon of the Congregational Church in Newbury.

Abigail was the daughter of immigrants John Webster and Mary Shatswell. John came from Ipswich, England by 1634. He then went to Ipswich, Massachusetts. His occupation was that of a baker. In 1640 "John Webster the Baker was admonished for brewing and tipleinge."

Mary's father, John Shatswell, and her brothers, Theophilus and John Shatswell, also immigrated to Ipswich, but probably not all at the same time. John Shatswell and Johanna Webster came to Ipswich in 1633 and they later moved to Newbury, Massachusetts.

McKay/Stevens Connection

Mary Shatswell's father, John, connects both the McKay family and the Petersen family.


Nathaniel Merrill married Susannah (last name unknown, possibly Wolterton) on September 23, 1633 in Wherstead, Essex, England. Nathaniel and his brother John settled in Newbury, Massachusetts in the spring of 1635 after spending a year or so in Ipswich (then called Agawam).

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Norton/Bartlett/Rust

The Rust Family

The Rust and Wardwell families arrived at and remained in Massachusetts through the first three generations.

How We're Related

Mary Rust married John Bartlett on September 29, 1680 in Newbury, Massachusetts.


Nathaniel Rust married Mary Wardwell in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Although born in Hingham, Nathaniel moved early in life to Ipswich where he was a glover. He was appointed quartermaster in the Phipps expedition to Canada when in 1690 the Province of Massachusetts undertook an expedition, under the command of Sir William Phipps, in the conquest of Canada, for the purpose of securing the Colonies against the frequent incursions of the Indians, at the instigation of their French allies.

Mary was the daughter of William Wardwell and Alice Pyce. He was a shoemaker who came to Boston in 1634. William was a follower of Anne Hutchinson and was banished from Massachusetts but was later reinstated.

Henry Rust married (uncertain, possibly Hannah Appleton) in 1636 in Higham, Norfolk, England. He arrived in New England between 1633 and 1635 and settled in Hingham, Massachusetts. The first colonists in Hingham came from old Hingham, Norfolk county, England. In 1651 Henry became a citizen in Boston and purchased property there. He was a glover and owned the Seven Star Inn on the same land that became the old Trinity Church site (and later Filene's Department Store) on Summer Street (then called Seven Star Lane).

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Norton/Younglove

The Younglove Family

The Younglove and Kinsman families originally settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts but over a couple of generations moved to Connecticut. John Younglove was one of the many preacher ancestors.

How We're Related

Hannah Younglove married George Norton on December 11, 1695 in Suffield, Connecticut.


John Younglove married Sarah Kinsman on August 1, 1660 in Suffield, Connecticut. One early historian wrote: "Their farms were much infested with bears, wolves and Indians, and a log fort or garrison found needful for protection." In 1663 John traveled with Rev. Michael Wigglesworth on some sort of religious mission. John spent the remainder of his life as a preacher or teacher, although never ordained, and never very successful.

John and his family were one of the families settled at Quaboag (now Brookfield, Massachusetts) in November, 1665. He preached for a time at North Brookfield, where he seems to have been in conflict with the congregation. He then taught school at Hadley from 1674 until his removal to Suffield, Connecticut in 1680 where he was the first minister. But here his old misfortune followed him. He antagonized his congregation against him, and seems to have been in constant conflict with them. He appeared before the Court to complain of the neglect of persons paying their dues for his maintenance for the years 1685-87 and part of 1688. On April 18, 1690, the town finally voted to petition the General Court "against Mr. Younglove's preaching any longer amongst us." His temper is said to have impaired his usefulness.

McKay-Stevens Connection

Sarah's sister, Mary, is a direct ancestor of the Scramlin side of the McKay family.

Sarah's father was Robert Kinsman. He had sailed from South Hampton, England in March 1634 and arrived in Boston, Massachusetts May 1634 on the Mary and John. From Boston he went to Agawan, which later became Ipswich where he received a land grant of an one acre.

Samuel Younglove married Margaret (last name possibly Legate) on July 1, 1633 in Epping, Essex, England. They arrived in Ipswich in September 1635 sailing on the Hopewell. Samuell was the first butcher in Ipswich and received a grant of a lot in town.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Norton/Hart

The Hart Family

The Hart family in America started in Ipswich, Massachusetts but soon relocated to Connecticut.

How We're Related

Sarah Hart married George Norton on October 7, 1669 in Windsor, Connecticut.


Hart House Ipswich, MA

Thomas Hart married Alice (last name unknown) in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Thomas landed in Boston in June 1635 on the ship Desire. He was said to be Irish but came from Baddow, Essex County, England. Thomas was a servant to John Brown, a tailor. By 1639 he was a proprietor in Ipswich. He worked as a tanner and was the town's first selectman.

The house that he started as one room in 1640 is still standing in much modified form and serves as an upscale restaurant.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Herbert/Beaman

The Beaman Family

The Beaman family was greatly affected by the early colonial wars.

How We're Related

Mary Beaman married John Herbert on December 28, 1742 in Worcester, Massachusetts


John Beaman married Abigail (last name unknown) in 1703 at Lancaster, Massachusetts. He fought in what is called Father Rale's War in 1722 under Sgt. Thomas Buckminster.


John Beaman married Priscilla Thornton in 1674 in Boston, Massachusetts. John and Priscilla moved to Lancaster with John's father but abandoned it after the attack in 1676. They went to Dorchester before returning to Lancaster.

Priscilla's father, Robert Thornton, came alone from London in the Elizabeth in 1635 and lived in Taunton and Boston. He married Mary Dowling on November 13, 1657. He was a carpenter and acquired over two hundred acres of land in Taunton.

Gamalial Beaman married Sarah Clark in 1643 in Dorchester, Massachusetts. Gamalial came to New England in 1635 at age 12 aboard the Elizabeth and Ann and settled in Dorchester. In 1659 they moved to Lancaster (then called Nashua).

In 1676 during King Philip's War Lancaster was attacked. Many died and the homes were burned. The town was abandoned. About 1680 the settlers returned to Lancaster and Gamalial and his son, John, rebuilt.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Kibbe

The Kibbe Family

The Kibbe and Cook families were among the first settlers of Enfield, Connecticut.

How We're Related

Hannah Kibbe married John Larcom on August 17, 1724 in Enfield, Connecticut.


John Kibbe married Hannah Phelps on August 18, 1698 in Enfield, Connecticut. Hannah was John's second wife. They were the parents of at least five sons and seven daughters.


Elisha Kibbe married Rachel Cook on December 12, 1667 in Salem, Massachusetts. He was one of the first settlers of Enfield, Connecticut in about 1681 where he became selectman and constable. His occupation was joiner. He lived to be 97 years old.

Rachel's parents were Henry Cook and Judith Birdsall. Henry Cook was a butcher who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1638. Judith was the daughter of Henry Burdsall or Birdsall who arrived in America in 1632 from Yorkshire County England. Henry Birdsall was a member of the First Church at Salem in 1636 and was registered a freeman May 2, 1638. Henry was a widower and he came to Salem with Judith age 13 and her brother.


Edward Kibbe married Mary Partridge in June 1639 in England. He was in the Boston area about 1645 settled in what is now Brookline Massachusetts and set up a sawmill on the Muddy River.

Mary Partridge is the sister of John Partridge Jr.; they are both Daniels ancestors through Polly Larkcom and are both children of John Partridge.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Kibbe/Phelps

The Phelps Family

The Phelps and Randall families settled in the Connecticut River Valley between Westfield and Windsor.

How We're Related

Hannah Phelps married John Kibbe on August 18, 1698 in Enfield, Connecticut.


Jacob Phelps married Dorothy Ingersoll on May 2, 1673 in Hartford, Connecticut. They moved to Westfield, Massachusetts.


George Phelps married Frances Randall on November 30, 1648 at Windsor, Connecticut. George had been married to Frances' sister, Phillury, until her death in 1648. George had immigrated to New England in 1630 or 1634. He came to Windsor, probably with the first emigration from Dorchester, in the fall of 1635. He relocated from Windsor to Westfield in 1672.

Frances Randall had been married to Thomas Dewey before his death in 1648. It is likely (but unproven) that they are related to the Daniels family through James Dewey.

Frances' father was Philip Randall, a blacksmith who came to New England in 1633 and settled first in Dorchester, Massachusetts and in 1636 in Windsor, Connecticut.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Kibbe/Phelps/Ingersoll

The Ingersoll Family

The Ingersoll and Bird families have their roots in Hartford, Connecticut.

How We're Related

Dorothy Ingersoll married Jacob Phelps on May 2, 1673 in Hartford, Connecticut.


John Ingersoll married Dorothy Lord in April 1651 in Hartford, Connecticut. John migrated to North America after 1644. He went to Hartford, Connecticut, no later than April 1651, where he married Dorothy. They then moved to Northampton, Massachusetts in 1655. John received a land grant in 1666 in Woronoco, Massachusetts (now known as Westfield) and then received 20 more acres in 1669. In 1679, John Ingersoll became one of the 'seven pillars' who founded the Westfield Church. His public relation, a statement made when he joined the church at Westfield, was recorded by "the great Puritan poet Edward Taylor, who was the minister at Westfield" and is "remarkable ... for its revelation of" John Ingersoll's "intense spiritual and psychological suffering." The text can be found here.

Stephen F Austin

John is a direct ancestor of Stephen Austin, the "Father of Texas."

Dorothy Lord was the daughter of Thomas Lord, an original 1636 proprietor of Hartford. Thomas and his wife Dorothy Bird came to America in 1635 on the Elizabeth and Ann. In the year 1652 the General Court granted the first medical license, by which Thomas Lord was authorized to practice physic and surgery in Hartford and adjoining towns. Fifteen pounds was to be his annual salary so long as he devoted his time and attention to the sick and suffering members of the colony.

It's interesting to see how interconnected some of our ancestors' families were. One example is that Dorothy Bird's great grandfather, William Bird is connected to the Stevens family in six different ways.

Stevens/Petersen/Roberts /Francis/Daniels/Larkcom /Solart

The Solart Family

The Solart family had their share of troubles with a suicide and a witchcraft accusation in just two generations.

How We're Related

Abigail Solart married Mordecai Larkum on November 10, 1681 in Windham, Connecticut.


John Solart married Sarah Cocke about 1669 in Salem, Massachusetts. John was called the "Frenchman" and may have had a French Huguenot background. Around 1670, he built and operated an inn, the Solart-Woodward House, in Wenham, Massachusetts Bay. The house is still standing at 106 Main St. in Wenham and in March 2019 was for sale for $600,000 (i.e., $9,180 in 1670 value).

Sadly, in 1672, John committed suicide by drowning himself. When Sarah’s mother remarried, John's daughters struggled to gain their rightful inheritance, suing to get a small amount of property.

In addition to Abigail, John and Sarah had another daughter, Sarah. The failure to secure her inheritance and two bad marriages left her destitute. She was accused and convicted of witchcraft in 1692. Her story is told here.

The Solarts, like the Larkcoms, could be descendants of French Huguenots.

An Huguenot image

Huguenot connection

Return to top of page

General History


Relations with Native Americans







The Pequot War

King Philip's War


Schleswig-Holstein immigration

Scots-Irish immigration

Dutch immigration

The Headright System

German Immigration

Great Migration

Massachusetts Bay Colony

Plymouth Colony


General Layout


[1]Francis; descendants of Robert Francis of Wethersfield, Conn.

[2]Portage Heritage; a History of Portage County, Ohio, 1957

[3]History of the Western Reserve Vol. III

[4]Larcon Family History

Return to top of page