Stevens Distant Relatives
The following relatives are not direct ancestors but are more distant relatives (i.e., directly related to our direct ancestors but not directly related to us).
If you are in the Stevens familiy tree you can find out how you are related to any of these people by:
- typing their name in the Search to the left,
- if you get more than one name click on the one you want,
- click on the Relationship tab above their personal information, that will be Person 1
- Next to the Calculate button is a link to "Search for other connections". Click on that link
- A new search opens and you choose Person 2. If you are in the family tree, you can find yourself by clicking on the Find button and entering your name
- If you are not in the family tree, find someone who is and is closely related to you. Click on the "Find" button and type in their name
- click on "Calculate" button.
This will show all the ways that these two are related including through spouses (i.e., not blood relations)
Note: You can also find more direct connections to ancestors that you are directly related to by using the Relationship tab and following the same instructions as above
- Barack Obama through James Harrington.
- Thomas Jefferson through Bernard Rogers,
- Franklin Roosevelt through Joseph Church and Richard Lyman,
- George Washington through Augustine Warner
- George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush through William Hale and others,
- Ulysses S. Grant through Marjory Choke [PR].
- William Howard Taft is related through William Lawrence,
- Rutherford B Hayes and Grover Cleveland through Aaron Cooke,
- Calvin Coolidge through Dr. Comfort Starr,
- Herbert Hoover through Joseph Smith.
- Millard Fillmore through William Sabin and Samuel Butler.
- Richard Nixon through Thomas Perkins.
- John Adams through David Stone.
- John Quincy Adams through Charles Hoar Jr.
- Franklin Pierce through John Webster.
- Chief Justice John Marshall through John Clarke.
- Daniel Webster through John Shelley.
- Winston Churchill through John Coe.
- Presidential nominee Adlai Stevenson II (and Vice-President Adlai Stevenson I) through William Stevenson.
- Vice President (under Harry Truman) Alben Barkley through Elizabeth Stevenson.
- Benjamin Franklin through multiple marriage connections.
Old West Figures:
- Davy Crockett through Richard Osbourne.
- James Butler Hickok (better known as Wild Bill Hickok) was a descendant of Samuel Morse.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow through George Griswold.
- John Dryden, an English poet, is related through his great grandfather John Dryden.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson through Samuel Bliss.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder through Mayflower ancestor Richard Warren.
- Ernest Hemingway through Robert Kinsman [PR].
- Robert Frost, the American poet, through John Hoar.
- Both Alexander Hamilton through David Fitz Walter [SS] and his killer,
- Aaron Burr through Thomas Butler.
- Samuel Adams through David Stone.
- Nathan Hale, America’s first spy, volunteered for an intelligence-gathering mission in New York City but was captured by the British and executed. He is related through Elizabeth Charde.
- John Brown, the abolitionist, through Peter Mills.
- William Clark and George Rogers Clark through John Rogers.
- Meriwether Lewis through Augustine Warner.
- Princess Diana Spencer through Elizabeth Joseph.
- Queen Elizabeth II is a very distant cousin through John Stewart.
- Elizabeth's great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria is an even more distant relation through Robert Boyd.
- Through direct ancestor and the Governor of the Colony of Connecticut in 1665, John Webster, we are related to Noah Webster of dictionary fame.
- Henry Wolcott’s great-grandson, Oliver Wolcott, was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, a Brigadier General during the American Revolution, a member of the first Continental Congress, and a governor of the State of Connecticut.
- William Williams was a signer of the Declaration of Independence is related through three ancestors.
- The daughter of Lewis Latham (who, by the way, had the cool job of falconer to King Charles I) was Frances Latham, known as the “Mother of Governors”. Having been widowed twice, she had three husbands, and became the ancestor of at least ten governors and three deputy/lieutenant governors, and is related by marriage to an additional six governors and one deputy governor.
- General Robert E. Lee is related through William Molyneux.
- There is a story in the Stevens family lore that we were descended from Mary Queen of Scots. As it turns out that is (probably) correct through James I Stewart King of Scotland.
- Mary is responsible for the death of shared relative John "The Martyr" Rogers [PR] [MD]. He guided the development of the Matthew Bible in vernacular English during the reign of Henry VIII and was the first English Protestant martyr under Mary I of England who was determined to restore Roman Catholicism.
- Another Mary connection, ironically, is distant relative Thomas Andrews [SS] who was instrumental in the death of Mary Queen of Scots in 1587. Being the sheriff of Northamptonshire, he was ordered by Queen Elizabeth I to execute Mary.